Thursday, August 28, 2014

It's Just a God Thing


The other night, my companion and I were invited to a worship service. When we came in, the room was filled with Southern gospel music on the guitar and violin. As I was trying to muster through songs I wasn't familiar with, I felt the love that each of these people had for Jesus Christ. While singing, individuals of all different faiths thanked the Lord for leading them out of dark places. Many testified of being protected while in car wrecks, in ICU, through deaths of loved ones, physical ailments and others. Miracles after miracles were shared that night.

After the service, my companion and I were able to clear up stereotypes of the church. I promise we don't have multiple wives. I met a woman, Mrs. Deanna, who is a recovering drug addict. She has been sober for a year and three months today, after starting in recovery back in 2006. I asked her what helped her through. She said, "It's just a God thing. It's just something that only He can do."She talked about how relying on Him is something gradual that requires a lot of prayer. After 18 years of drugs, she said she was just tired of disappointing her kids. Her best advice that I'll always remember is, "Sometimes we pray so much and believe in it so little. We must believe and have faith that He can heal us."

One of my favorite scriptures in the Bible is Psalms 37:5: "Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass." I know that what Mrs. Deanna taught me that night will stay in my memory for forever. Sometimes I feel like Peter when he walked on water and my faith shakes a bit but I just have to believe and get back on track. I know that despite the circumstances that we're faced with, when we trust Him we will be guided.

If you or someone you know is struggling with any kind of addiction, The Church of Jesus Christ offers an Addiction Recovery Program. I have heard amazing things from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment