Friday, August 22, 2014

Pineapples

As we sat on Ms. Edna's porch, a cool breeze rushed over me. I whispered a quiet prayer for the tender mercy. As we sat on her rusty lawn chairs, we learned of her gratitude and love for Jesus Christ. Ms. Edna, an 83 year old woman still nurtures her jungle of a yard. As we walked around her yard, she mentioned that her doctors tell her to stay out of the sun. But she pays no attention to the advice. Her worn out face showed hard work, love and exhaustion. As we walked she said, "I just don't know what I'd do without my plants!"

Ms. Edna used to do a lot of traveling and her favorite adventure was to Hawaii. As she reminisced of her trip, she mentioned that as she was in a taxi, her taxi driver pulled over on the side of the road and picked her a fresh pineapple plant. Little did the taxi driver know that his small act of kindness brought dozens more acts of kindness down the road. She packed the plant in her suitcase and took it home to Georgia. Since planting that pineapple, she has flooded her yard with over thirty pineapple plants.

As I asked her what goes into keeping her dozens and dozens of plants healthy, she said, "Everything needs re-potting and fertilizer." As we talked more, I told Ms. Edna that my mom loved flowers. With her frail skinny body, she picked up a pineapple plant and handed it to me. She said, "I want your mom to have this." I was obviously surprised and I asked her if she was sure and she said, "Yes, I have plenty!" From the small act of kindness from the Hawaiian taxi driver, I reaped the benefit of a pineapple plant from Ms. Enda. As we kept walking, with a huge pineapple plant on my hip, I thought a lot about my dad who spends a lot of time in the yard. Every Spring for Mother's Day, my dad and my siblings fill my momma's flower beds in our front yard. I think one of the most important things that my dad has always taught me is the importance of serving and loving my momma. Ever since I can remember.

Ms. Edna reminded me, that we must be willing to love and serve those around us.This experience reminded me of a quote by Elder C. Max Caldwell, an apostle, who once said, "Charity is not just a precept or a principle, nor is it just a word to describe actions or attitudes. Rather, it is an internal condition that must be developed and experienced in order to be understood. We are possessors of charity when it is a part of our nature. People who have charity have a love for the Savior, have received of his love, and love others as he does."

Ms. Enda taught me that in order to gain even a fraction of the love that Jesus Christ has for us, we must also be willing to make sacrifices. We must love and serve anyone and everyone around us, even a complete stranger like myself. I am grateful for the humble taxi driver's act of kindness that started a domino effect of Christlike love.

One of my favorite scriptures in the Book of Mormon reads, "But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with them." (Moroni 7:47) I know that when I serve someone, I truly learn to love them.

Wish me luck as a proud new owner of a pineapple plant. Pray I don't kill it.

No comments:

Post a Comment